August 13, 2007

Giving Due Credit

Last month after watching Fourth of July fireworks, I recalled the day’s initial weather forecast. So I asked, “Isn’t it neat how God kept the thunderstorms away so we could enjoy the show?” Our daughters nodded, and I thought of Kathy.

I purposely phrased my question as I had because of what Kathy had taught me by example when we visited her in March. That week, as she chauffeured us to the zoo, the botanical garden, and an aquarium, she peppered her comments to the girls with similar references: Look how God made that flower such a bright pink, Abbie! Isn’t it cool, Rachel, how God made these otters so funny?

I took notice for two reasons. First, that wasn’t how my other friends and I typically spoke of the world around us. Second, the comments rolled off her tongue so naturally it was obvious she believed what she said.

Since our daughters were babies, my husband and I have tried to immerse them in the things of God. We faithfully attend church and Sunday school. We regularly read them Bible stories and teach Biblical principles and worship songs. We pray with them.

Good endeavors, every one. And each surely a part of God’s exhortation that parents must “teach [My words] to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up” (Deuteronomy 11:19). But the girls could easily compartmentalize such things into a “Christian corner” of their lives if that’s all we do.

On the other hand, if we talk about God throughout the course of everyday events, we fulfill His command much more fully. Think about it. If I say, Wow! Look at that amazing sunset!, I give credit to “Mother Nature” and hope they understand that I mean God. But, if I say, Wow! Look how God painted the sunset tonight!, I explicitly tell them the truth and also help them see connections between the Bible and their lives.

If you’re not used to talking that way, it’ll seem awkward at first. But I challenge you to try it. Your children will benefit. And so will you. I marvel at how much more I “see” God around me now that I look for Him!

CK

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...